We just spent the last three days at Fairfax Children's Hospital. Johnny has been a very brave boy throughout all of this. I couldn't be more proud of him. I won't even go into detail on how many times he has been pricked and poked. It has been brutal. Our hope is that he will get more comfortable with the unpleasant parts of this with each passing day. Kids do seem to be pretty resilient that way!
I do have to say though, I have been the most worried about giving him shots everyday but in actuality the hardest part is the HUGE change in his diet. All I'm going to say is.....He's STARVING. Hopefully his body will start to adjust and he won't feel the amount of hunger he is now.
All of the Nurses, Doctors and Specialists at FCH were great! John and I learned SO much about the disease and feel pretty confident in all that lies ahead!I just want to Thank everyone for all of your kind wishes, phone calls and emails. I promise we are not ignoring anyone. We are just trying to get into this new routine....it has been quite a bit more hectic than it was in the hospital.
Onto some better news....Jacob started preschool on Thursday!!! He was SUPER excited to go!! His teacher said he did great and that he went on the potty two times!! It is hysterical seeing all of the little two years olds with their HUGE back packs on walking down that hall!!! I think he is going to have a WONDERFUL year!!
8 comments:
Oh my goodness! What a shocker! Did something scary happen leading up to the diagnosis or did the pediatrician pick something up when he had his physical before school? I'm so glad to learn that Johnny is doing fine, other than starving, right now. : ( Thank goodness the doctors caught the symptoms early, so that Johnny can begin treatment.
Hang in there, Kelly. What you are experiencing has to be tough, scary, and exhausting.
You are in my thoughts.
katie
Kelly, John and Johnny,
As I said yesterday you all are in our prayers!! If we can help with anything while you adjust please call!!!!
Brandey
We are thinking of you guys and if there is anything at all we can do, please call.
Hugs to all~
Love you all! Your in our thoughts and prayers!
Aunt Sherri
Kelly,
I've (We) been thinking about you and your family. Hang in there it will get better. I am glad that Johnny's doing better, other than starving. : ( Like I said before if you need anything please don't hesitate to call.
Talk to you soon. Thinking of you.
Hugs,
~Jamie
Abels.. Guys, as you know family and friends will help you all through this. We will all do our part to help Johnny adjust. You guys are strong, and certainly this set back will only make you stronger!
Take care.
Be glad you found out now and not much later in his life. Keep us posted on how he is doing!
Thinking of you all!!
The Sweet Family
PS...Yea for Jacob and his first day!!!
My thoughts are with you and your family during this time of change and adjustment...I can't imagine how challenging it must have been to swallow that news...I am happy that you all had wonderful care - it makes a big difference...again, ya'll are truly in my thoughts.
Amy
Post a Comment