Monday, April 19, 2010

Is it just mine??

Whelp....Johnny came down with a stomach virus in the middle of the night on Friday. His stomach hurt so bad he was hunched over just whimpering. His first t-ball game of the season was on Saturday morning. He laid on the family room floor in his uniform and cried and cried because he couldn't go :( I have to say though, from what I've heard it was VERY cold and windy so maybe it worked out for the better! (that is a joke.....I would much rather brace the cold and wind than have a sick child...especially the one who should be exempt from getting sick!) He was sick all day on Saturday, but seemed to be getting better on Sunday. He started to relapse last night though. Just not to the extreme that he had been. Thank goodness! I have kept him home today to make sure he is a OK before he heads back. Not really the kind of sickness you want to take to school. Ya know?!?!
Anyways....since having both children cooped up inside seems to have brought out their bad sides. Now Johnny does have an excuse. Jacob however does not. That little stinker. He just LOVES to pester his brother. I must let you know though that Johnny is a silent instigator. He does little things repeatedly to Jacob that he knows bother him and will eventually have him blowing up. I cannot even begin to tell you just how many parents talk about how well their children get along with one another. No fighting, wrestling, yelling, jealousy.....you get it right? So I guess my ultimate question is.....Is it just mine?? Now don't get me wrong. John and Jacob can be very sweet to one another and take care of each other, but more often than not they are wrestling one another, fighting over the same toy/book/bike and so on. If we ask what they want for dinner it is ALWAYS something different. They fight over who goes to the bathroom before bed first, who gets to be dropped off by which parent to their Sunday School class. Would you like me to name more? No. OK Good. That list was growing tiresome. John and I have been trying to make special things for each of them. Like them picking a dinner once a week, rotating which of us drops them at their ssc, letting them pick a movie for family movie night every other week. I am hoping that with some little changes they can ease up on wrestling each other so often.....but then I also wonder if that's just boys. I mean, how would I know? I am a girl and a fairly girly girl too. I certainly don't want to take away any unwritten ritual that boys go through to become men. It just doesn't seem like wrestling is going to come in handy when they are grown men.
So I guess my hope is that all of the parents that swear their kids don't fight are full of crap. HEE HEE....just kidding! I thought maybe a little humor would lighten the mood. Unless you are FOC and in that case you should just come clean. If you do happen to have kids who don't happen to fight, can you please give me some tips!!
To any/all of you new or soon to be parents out there, just know that even though my children fight and wrestle a LOT, I LOVE them dearly and would certainly take a day of wrestling over no day at all! There are many challenges that come with parenting and I can for sure say that John and I are just scratching the surface. Lord help me when they become teenagers!

2 comments:

Melis B said...

You are totally not alone. Our girls fight ALL the time and mostly it's about stupid stuff. Today it was b/c Lauren wouldn't give AC a kiss. :) It's ALL the time though.

Best of luck.....

:)
Melis

Christine said...

I had to laugh out loud at this one! You are so describing my house. What makes it worse is there are 3 of them so 2 are always ganging up on 1. I usually have tears at least once a day from someone because of fighting!