Saturday, March 27, 2010

Untitled...

So yesterday (well Friday now) I had probably one of the most draining days ever. There are only a few that might top it. It all started off fairly normal. I got up, brushed my teeth showered, got dressed, walked the dog, got the boys up.......you get it right?! I was watching my friends kids for part of the day....which in actuality probably ended up being a life saver for me. I cannot even imagine having to deal with everything that was going on while trying to entertain Jacob.

Johnny went on a field trip yesterday(Friday). They were going to Sherando HS to see a play and then were supposed to head to Jim Barnett afterward. Since it was raining JB was scratched. For some reason they didn't get back to their school until right before noon. Which is almost an hour past their normal lunch time. Something that most people wouldn't even think twice about, but when you have a Diabetic it can make a HUGE difference in their Blood Sugar. Well, by the time Johnny got back to the school he could barely walk or talk. To be honest I CANNOT stress how Thankful I am that he made it to the nurse. She immediately knew he was not in good shape and checked his BS, which was 29. VERY BAD. For anyone who doesn't know anything about diabetes, I am lucky that Johnny was not unconscious with him being that low. The lowest we have seen so far is 45 and that was pretty scary. I am also kinda Thankful that I was not there to see him in such a state. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been the kind of calm that is needed. I guess that's a Mother for you.....or at least this one anyways.

Now, I am not one to point fingers, but this NEVER should have happened. His teacher and another Mother both asked Johnny if he was OK on the way back from the play. He was able to nod an OK. Unfortunately that's NOT OK. When a Diabetics Blood Sugar drops really low they are not able to concentrate or respond in normal manner.......ESPECIALLY a six year old. Which is why it is SO IMPORTANT to have RESPONSABLE adults around to make the decisions that he can't. Now I am not a teacher and I wasn't there, but I have lost almost ALL of the sense of comfort that I had while Johnny is at school. I must make this perfectly clear too. When a diabetics blood sugar drops below a certain point THERE ARE VERY NOTICABLE SYMPTOMS. THERE IS NO WAY ANY ADULT COULD HAVE THOUGHT HE WAS OK. THAT IS NOT OK WITH ME.

PLEASE if you know someone or come into contact with on a fairly regular basis PLEASE educate yourself on the disease. It is just that a DISEASE.....and can be FATAL. You never know, you could be the one who ends up making the difference in a diabetics life. I would really hate to loose my son because his school just didn't think it was a big deal. To be honest with you.....before Johnny was diagnosed that's exactly what I thought it was. Not a big deal. I can tell you first hand that it is SO much more than that. My son's life will never be exactly like everyone else's. He has and is going to keep on going through things that most people never give a thought to. But he does it, and he doesn't complain or cry or ask why. He IS the BRAVEST person I have ever known. All I ask is that the Adults around him give him the time and attention that he deserves. If only I could take his disease from him. I would do it in a second. It completely broke my heart when I got the call that he wasn't OK. This is something that I know will happen again.....not necessarily at school though.....and it scares the hell out of me. I wish I had one ounce of my Son's Bravery! John Patrick Abel III YOU ARE AMAZING and I LOVE you with all of my heart!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh Kelly. My heart just breaks reading this. I am so sorry that Johnny had to go thru this kind of trauma, especially at school! Where he should be safe...
I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. If there's anything you need, you know where I am.

Melis B said...

Man, I still can't believe that all happened at school. I hope Johnny is feeling better this weekend. I was going to check in with you at the bus stop today, I hope he's doing TONS better!!

katie k-h said...

I'm so, so sorry that happened, Kelly. What's upsetting is that the whole situation could have been so easily avoided. : ( Sending you a big hug.

Katie