Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Brighter Outlook

There is just something in the air during the Holiday Season that makes me want to be a better person. As I'm sure with most people there are things about myself and things that I've done in my lifetime that I am regretful and disappointed of. I know it's one of the biggest ways we learn, but for some reason every year during the Holidays I think of all the ways I personally can be a better person. I tell myself this year after year and then as soon as the Holidays are over fall back into some bad habits. Being easily irritated, little to no patience, judgemental, being hurtful...just to name a few. I want to be that person who sees the good in every situation and in every Person. I want to push all negativity away and just concentrate on the good. Why shouldn't I be that person that you always say is so happy and cheerful..all the time. People like that drive me nuts...and why, because I am jealous?? Probably. I should be looking up to people like that. People who NEVER judge a book by it's cover. Who no matter what the situation always find some good. Life is short....the older I get the bigger a realization that is. I/We all should be living every day to it's fullest. I have so many things to be thankful for....even in times of despair. It has been so easy for me to ask why me, why us, why Johnny since his Diabetes Diagnosis. I guess that's the point. Life isn't easy.....The easiest solutions are probably never the right ones. After this election I walked around for about a full week feeling sick. I am a republican. I strongly disagree with most of the things Democrats stand and hope for. I have been rather bitter at the outcome of the election. It seems so silly now. I did my part and voted....voiced my opinion. That's all I can do. I need to focus more on the now of my life. Already I can look back and see how much time I have wasted being mad at the most ridiculous things. We are all the same. Normal people just trying to live our lives. Who am I to judge anyone? Or to be negative towards someone for just being them? I am just being me and do not wish to be judged.


I guess my point is be happy....look to the good....and never judge a book by it's cover. From now on I'm not!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post...thanks so much for sharing this point of view & and a very personal piece of your journey. It is tough to always be happy and always focus on the positive, but I am a firm believer that makes the conscious effort to devote your energy to happiness easily in time becomes an unconscious effort...sort of like involuntary muscles :) Anyway...loved your post!

HUGS!
Amy

Try finding a good book on the topic...it does help :)

Sherri said...

Reflection is a wonderful thing, Kelly! It makes us better just by identifying areas we need work in. I believe that God does prompt us with these thoughts and feelings! A good book that I know you already have and read is the Bible.

I, too, feel the same way every holiday, make a conscious decision to change and then fall back into old and bad habits.

I now have decided to start each day acknowledging that I have a choice in every decision I make on this day -- it can be positive and reaffirming or negative and hurtful -- it is my choice at that moment. I am now really trying to choose to be kind, patient (be ready for some testing if you ask the Lord to help you in this area:), find the good in people and situations and to notice all the beauty the Lord has graced this earth with.

I am looking at a beautiful sky right now as I type this and really appreciate and marvel at its beauty. I have been so "busy" with my life that I neglect to notice all the simple, lovely things around me!